Cost and quality is built into products at the design stage. Returning to the drawing board would be the ideal solution and maximise savings and quality enhancements, but it can take time and involve considerable expense and risk.
A detailed product review by suitably qualified Interims can quickly identify the areas to deliver the necessary improvements, using skills and experience in product design and development, supply chain and manufacturing, customer care and servicing, reliability and testing:
- Analysing current product specifications (drawings, performance specifications)
- Reviewing existing product development data (reliability, field testing)
- Assembling and disassembling the product to identify where problems might occur
- Reviewing existing materials and identifying other alternatives that might be used
- Detailed review of the manufacturing processes, both in house and at suppliers
- Reviewing customer feedback (complaints and suggested improvements)
A detailed implementation plan is compiled focussing on:
- Agreed changes to the design and selection of materials
- Relevant test schedules to ensure the improvements have the required effect
- Fool proofing all stages of the manufacturing process (in-house and at suppliers)
- Introduction of additional in line and final test procedures
The review can greatly improve existing products, help expand the product range through identification of spin off products and can be used to guide future product development.
Post review, Interims can be used to support the product redevelopment process either by stepping in to directly manage or provide ongoing support through Mentoring / Coaching or Business Process Improvement.
To discuss how we can help with your product redevelopment Contact Us.